Every endeavour should have a sound footing
The practice was formed in 1994 by Mike Ganley, Michael Pope and Ian Johnson. Initially the business operated as a partnership before being incorporated as a company in 1997. Mike Ganley and Michael Pope retired from the business and architectural practice in 2012 with Ian Johnson continuing on.
GPJ Architects has extensive experience in both the public and private sectors. The practise has undertaken a wide variety of projects from $50k to $3.5m.
GPJ Architects could be considered to be universal architectural practitioners, with most of work to being in the educational and health sectors, and with significant contributions from the industrial, early childhood, public housing, commercial and residential fields.
The practice also has particular expertise in contract administration and supervision and project assessment. The practice has superintended several projects for which it was not the design architect and has undertaken several post occupancy evaluations.
GPJ Architects has a sound financial base and carefully considers the financial implications of a commission before accepting it. It can put together any team necessary for a particular project.
Sound financial management underpins our projects, and working within a project's budgetary constraints is considered to be of paramount importance. The philosophy on design centres on efficient planning within an economical, sustainable, contemporary context.
We aspire to achieve a delight in the design and to cultivate the unexpected within a sound building framework.
Significant projects undertaken include:
- New Norfolk High School MDT Refurbishment
- Illawarra Primary School Redevelopment
- Forth Primary School Redevelopment
- Nubeena Nursing Home Redevelopment
- Major Royal Hobart Hospital upgrade (in collaboration with joint architects)
- Child Care Centres
Lipscombe, Blackmans Bay, St. Davids, Deloraine Toddle Inn, Oatlands Station, Richmond, Bagdad
- Richardson Devine Marine Boat Building Shed Prince of Wales Bay
- Office fitouts
- Australian Government Centre 188 Collins Street Hobart, selected floors for Commonwealth Government Agencies
- National Archives of Australia, Hobart area
- Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency, Hobart